Shark Attack prevents WSL surf competition

Shark Attack prevents WSL surf competition

Kaplua, Hawaii (Khan 2) – Rocky-sponsored Maui Pro is on hold until further notice when it was attacked by a shark by a recreational surfer early Tuesday morning. According to Maui Memorial Medical Center, the victim’s condition is stable.

[Hawaii news on the go–LISTEN to KHON 2GO weekday mornings at 7:30 a.m.]

The Mui Pro was scheduled to start at 10 a.m., the second day of the World Surf League should have been a great day with a sudden change just hours before the event.

Eric Logan, CEO of WSL, suddenly appeared in a video announcement posted on the WSL website

“We’re announcing today, now, following the incident of a shark tightening its grip on the Maui Pro, which happened this morning in the Bay with an entertaining surfer,” Logan said.

The attack took place just before 8 a.m. as water security personnel were ready for the day and other passengers were enjoying the waves before the incident.

The DLNR said a 56-year-old Lehna man was stabbed while paddling off the ramp of an old boat in the bay.

Logan said the man was surfing for fun, not a competitor.

Dr. Keane Surf, Marketing Director and Maui’s ancestor, Micah Nikkins, was in Honolulu Bay when it happened.

“It simply came to our notice then. It was a very comfortable feeling to be a part of it. ”

Nickins said it happened while he was talking to a friend.

“All of a sudden, Sage Erickson came running really fast and they were honoring the horns for the end of the lineup and the ski (out in the water) was moving fast.” “And I was like, ‘Wow, they’re going to start the competition soon.’ And so I asked (Sage), ‘Did they change their mind?’ And he likes, ‘No, it’s a shark attack.’ As I am, ‘Wait, what?’ “There was a shark attack,” he said. ”

READ  7 dead outside Kabul airport, says UK Defense Ministry World

Nikkins said he pulled the man out of the water because of maritime security.

“It simply came to our notice then. It was incredible, I mean, people are crying. I had Carissa (Moore). The shock was visible in his eyes. We all did. A little girl was out in the water. He is like eight. I don’t know if she will ever recover. To be honest, it really scared her, ”he said.

Nikkins spent his entire life at Honolulu Bay and admitted to having seen sharks there before. The bay is full of fish and he said he saw a tortoise here on Monday.

“Occasionally, I’ve seen small six- to eight-foot (sharks) just hunting or cruising along beaches.”

He asserted that his confession had been obtained through torture.

“It was morning. The clarity was very poor and it was very close to the mouth of the river, ”he said.

Nikkins said he thinks WSL has done the right thing, stopping the competition until further notice for everyone’s safety. He explained that in the past, when shark attacks occurred during events, WSL changed the venue.

WSL has not yet confirmed a replacement for the Maui Pro.

Maui Memorial Medical Center announced that the victims of the shark attack had been out of surgery since 3pm on December 8 and were in stable condition.

About the author: Cory Weinberg

"Student. Subtly charming organizer. Certified music advocate. Writer. Lifelong troublemaker. Twitter lover."

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *