Urgent warning about raw oysters after contaminated seafood caused stomach upset across Australia
- Victoria’s Health Department issued a dire warning on Tuesday
- Raw or partially cooked South Australian oysters cause infectious cases
- Since September, a series of virus cases have been reported across the country.
The Victoria Department of Health recently issued a warning about an outbreak of infection related to people eating raw or partially cooked oysters.
The warning comes after a surge in cases related to the stomach of oysters grown in southern Australia – eight cases have been reported since early October.
Several other cases have been reported across the country since September.
The Victoria Department of Health recommends not eating raw seafood, especially seafood (stock photo).
Other raw seafood has also been linked to outbreaks.
“Infection can also occur from eating other seafood, such as oysters, shrimp, crabs and crabs,” officials said in a statement.
Symptoms usually appear soon after eating contaminated seafood and are similar to food poisoning.
The immunocompromised and the elderly are more susceptible to infection.
Victorians were warned against eating South Australia’s raw or partially cooked oysters, which have been linked to an outbreak (photo)
The Department of Health recommends that anyone with gastrointestinal symptoms “drink plenty of fluids, including electrolytes.”
The stomach attached to shellfish is caused by a bacteria called vibrio paramoleticos,
The health department is urging people with gastrointestinal problems to avoid high-risk facilities such as hospitals for two days after recovery.