A 14-year-old boy died yesterday afternoon after being injured by an Australian box jellyfish on a beach in Queensland, Australia.
According to Australian channel ABC, the boy was left with “a net of several meters wrapped around his arm and leg” and was rescued by lifeguards after emerging from the water.
According to eyewitnesses, the boy, whose identity was not revealed, must have come out of the water screaming and wrapped in a tent. Other bathers were instructed to get out of the water after the incident to avoid injury.
According to a representative of the Ameo Beach rescue group, rescuers used vinegar to try to remove the trap from the body of the boy, who had fainted after releasing the water.
Professionals tried to revive the teenager for 40 minutes and took the boy to the hospital, but he later died.
The Australian box jellyfish, also known as the “sea wasp”, is considered the most venomous animal in the ocean and according to experts, releases a venom capable of killing anyone within two minutes of contact.
The beach where the boy was attacked was closed over the weekend. The entry of bathers into the sea was banned indefinitely.