Formula 1: Australian Grand Prix likely in November, says Andrew Westacott – Australian Grand Prix chief Andrew Westcott said he was confident that Australia would host the next Formula One race in November. He denied that Australia could not host Formula One championships consecutively. The previous version was canceled at the last time due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and the 2021 version was postponed until November of its traditional season.
Australian Grand Prix chief Andrew Westcott said on Monday that he was confident that the race would take place in November, but shed water on the idea that Melbourne could host a consecutive round of Formula One championships.
The 2020 edition of the Australian Grand Prix was canceled at the last moment when the COVID-19 epidemic took over the world and the 2021 race surpassed its traditional opening season for November.
However, Australia’s borders remain effectively closed, and the government said last week that they could remain so until the middle of next year.
Westcott said details of the health protocol that would allow Formula One teams to enter Australia and the race are still being negotiated.
“All systems will be ready for the Formula One event on November 21,” the Australian Grand Prix Corporation chief executive told ABC TV on Monday.
“We are working closely with the Government of Victoria on all aspects of security plans for COVID and are also working on arrangements for this.
“As you can imagine, this is something very complex, it is a work in progress and we are working with the Government of Victoria… now in every detail.
The only major international sporting event to have taken place in Melbourne since the onset of the epidemic was the Australian Open Tennis Championships in February.
This was only possible when all players and support teams outside Australia were quarantined for 14 days, a logical impossibility for Formula One teams scheduled to compete in Brazil on 7 November.
“We will finalize all these details in the next four to five months,” Westcott said in an interview on Melbourne’s 3AW Radio. “None of it has been finalized, so far it has been worked on.”
Due to a health condition in Brazil threatening that race, Australian Daniel Ricciardo suggested last month that teams could go directly to Australia for two rounds of the championship. Westcott thought it was highly unlikely.
He said, “I think people in Brazil are very lost in getting their grand prize two weeks before us.”
“We want to focus on delivering a GP here in Melbourne on 21 November … Our job is to deliver it very successfully.”