The United States Secret Service, the body in charge of protecting the country’s president, deleted text messages sent on January 5 and 6, 2021, among other functions, a later date. attack on the capital Promoted by thousands of supporters of former President Donald Trump (2017-2021).
A letter from the Department of Homeland Security sent Thursday to a US House of Representatives committee investigating the January 6 events said the messages had been removed from the system as part of a device replacement program.
The letter explained that the messages were deleted shortly after the US Inspector General’s Office required documentation of electronic communications conducted by the Secret Service as part of an assessment of the events on Capitol Hill on January 6, 2021.
Last week, Secret Service director James Murray announced that he would be stepping down at the end of the month, and the US press has learned that he will be working for the social media company Snapchat.
Murray will retire from the agency on July 30 after serving 27 years, three of them as directors appointed to the position by then-President Donald Trump in May 2019.
For her part, White House spokeswoman Karine Jean-Pierre told a news conference that Murray’s departure has been in the works for months and has nothing to do with the controversy that has sparked Secret Service members in recent days. Regarding the performance of January. , 2021.
In late June, a former White House official during Trump’s tenure told the committee investigating the Capitol Hill attack that Ex-President Orders His Limousine Driver To Go To Congress And, when he refused, the then president tried to take control of the steering wheel.
Anonymous sources deny the fact to the press and assure that the Secret Service is in a position to testify under oath, something the former employee said has not happened yet.