Vaccine ‘queue’: Scam that forced the resignation of the Argentine health minister during the 19-kovind epidemic – 02/20/2021

Vaccine 'queue': Scam that forced the resignation of the Argentine health minister during the 19-kovind epidemic - 02/20/2021

Previously it was in Peru. Now in Argentina.

The discretionary administration of vaccines against Kovid-19 has again caused controversy in Latin America.

On Friday, Argentine President Alberto Fernandez asked Health Minister Ginnas González García to resign after the outbreak of a scandal after it was revealed that officials and those close to the government could be vaccinated without following the required protocols. According to the local press, the general population.

At noon on the same day, Gonzalez submitted his resignation, Which was accepted by Fernandez, who appointed Carla Vizzotti as the holder of the portfolio.

The controversy erupted after journalist Horacio Verbitzky, who is believed to be a supporter of the ruling party, revealed that he was prosecuted Coronavirus After making a direct request to Gonzalez.

“I called my old friend Gaine Gonzalez Garcia, who I knew long ago that he is a minister, and he told me that I should go to Posadas Hospital. When I was on the way, I got one of his secretaries. Got the message, who told me. A team from the hospital was going to the ministry and he said that he should go to the ministry to get the vaccine, “Verbitzky, 79, told El Uncover Radio on Friday (19).

Following this revelation, the Argentine press began to split the information, according to which other celebrities close to the ruling party left the line and also received a commentary in preferential character.

The La Nesheon newspaper reported that an operation was conducted in the premises of the Ministry of Health to vaccinate officers, MPs, civil servants and other personalities.

READ  South Korea's Kovid cases rise but half a million students sit for CSAT, a college entrance exam

However, this would not be the sole cause of controversy, as according to the same newspaper, the Ministry of Health reserved at least 3,000 vaccines to vaccinate its employees, although they were not considered at risk.

A similar scandal surfaced in Peru last week, which led to the resignation of several officials after it was revealed that about 500 people, including former President Martín Vizcara, ministers and other celebrities, had received vaccinations on preferential terms.

In Brazil, complaints of skip-of-the-line cases have also been filed.

The National Ombudsman Office of the Public Prosecutor’s Office said it had received more than 1,000 complaints against Kovid-19 across the country regarding cases of queuing in immunizations. They are people who have been vaccinated and were not in the priority category of the vaccination program.

After receiving complaints, the complaints are forwarded to a unit of the public ministry so that legal remedies can be taken.

More than 80 people have been vaccinated this week in Buenos Aires province

Image: GETTY IMAGES

Who can get vaccinated

Vaccination in Argentina began a month and a half ago, but until this week it was formally reserved for health professionals in the country.

Only on Thursday (18), the province of Buenos Aires launched a vaccination campaign for people over 70 years of age.

Argentina has approximately 45 million inhabitants, of which approximately 7.2 million are over 60 years of age.

To date, the country has received 1.22 million doses of the Russian Sputnik V vaccine and 580 thousand doses of the vaccine produced by the Serum Institute in India, thanks to the transfer of technology from AstraZeneca and Oxford University in the United Kingdom.

To be vaccinated in the province of Buenos Aires, citizens must first register on a website and now, the process is open only to people over the age of 80.

According to data from Johns Hopkins University in the United States, the South American country recorded more than 2 million confirmed infections and 51,000 deaths.

Muhammad Wayne

About the author: Muhammad Wayne

Wayne is a reporter who covers everything from oil trading to China's biggest conglomerates and technology companies. Originally from Chicago, he is a graduate of New York University's business and economic reporting program.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *