Dr Michael Ryan, head of the organisation’s emergency department, warned that Kovid-19 could still be caught in 90 per cent of the world.
Addressing a meeting of the WHO’s 34-member executive board, which focuses on Kovid-19, on Monday, Dr. Ryan said the figures vary from urban to rural establishments and different groups, but ultimately mean “Most of the world is at risk.”
He said the epidemic would continue to evolve, but that it was there to suppress communications and save lives.
“Our current best estimates are that 10 percent of the world’s population could be infected with the virus,” he said.
“It varies by country, it varies from urban to rural, it varies by groups. But this means that much of the world is in danger.
“We are going through a difficult time now. The disease continues to spread.”
Dr. Ryan was joined by his boss, WHO Director-General Tedros Adanom Ghebriosus, who observed a moment of silence in honor of the victims a few minutes ago, as well as praised the health workers who helped him Worked to save
Dr. Ryan said there had been a sharp rise in cases in Southeast Asia, with deaths in Europe and the Eastern Mediterranean, while conditions in Africa and the West Pacific were “more positive”.
The World Health Organization estimates that there will be more than 760 million people, based on the current world population of about 7.6 billion.
This is far more than the number of cases confirmed by both the WHO and Johns Hopkins University – both reported more than 35 million worldwide.
Dr. Ryan added that China has provided a list of experts to take part in an international mission to investigate the coronavirus.