The search for victims of a partially collapsed building in Surfside, Fla., ends just over a month ago after firefighters stopped work at the disaster site, which killed at least 97 people.
“It’s hard to believe that a month has passed since perhaps the greatest tragedy in the history of our community,” Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniela Levine-Cava said on Twitter this Saturday (24).
He added in a video posted on the social network, “While the site of the collapse was confined to a combined city the size of just one block, its echo was felt far beyond our county, touching lives around the world. was.”
On Friday, search and rescue teams at the site of the Champlain Towers South building collapsed ended their operations, according to local officials. They had been working on the site since the morning of June 24, when a 12-story oceanfront tower at Surfside, north of Miami Beach, collapsed.
No survivors were found in the rubble, and on July 7, firefighters announced that they would focus on the search for human remains.
After removing tons of debris, the site where the building was located is now vacant, leaving only four walls of the structure.
So far, 97 casualties have been identified, but officials believe there is one missing to be identified, Levine-Kawa said this week. Miami-Dade police are searching for the remains of the last victim, where they kept items removed from the crash site.
A month after it happened, the causes of the collapse are still unknown. Initial elements of the investigation suggest that the building’s structure had deteriorated in some areas.